Friday, December 23, 2011

Sugar Cookies!

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! I start celebrating in what I call, the "er" months~ September, October, November, December. I wait until after Thanksgiving to cut down a tree, mostly so I don't scare anyone and become "that weird neighbor" who has Christmas up before Halloween. But one of my favorite things about this holiday is having family over to celebrate Christmas Eve with a delicious meal at our house. This year, the menu is "roll your own sushi." I will put out all our favorite ingredients for sushi and everyone can create their own  But as non-traditional as dinner may be, dessert will be an array of my favorite cookies.

One of my favorite, simple cookies is a good sugar cookie. The crispy outside and soft center makes for a delicious bite! I spent the morning making all sorts of variations of this cookie, from powered sugar, to white, egg or egg-less. All of them were made using Earth's Best stick butter alternative, which our family has come to love given our issues with dairy as well as gluten. But even with the fake butter, these were incredibly delicious. If you want to make a rolled cookie for cutting, this recipe works great. Lightly dust the dough with flour (any of the alternatives works fine) and then place between two sheets of parchment to roll. Roll the dough into a sheet approximately 1/4 in thick, then cut with your favorite cookie cutters.

In this recipe. I vary the brown rice flour and use sweet rice flour instead. It is a little harder to find, but it makes a wonderful sugar cookie!

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup potato starch
3/4 cup sweet rice flour
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I used organic evaporated cane sugar and it was wonderful)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cream your sugar and flour then add egg. When blended thoroughly, slowly add flour, vanilla, baking soda and xanthan gum. Drop in small balls or roll out and bake at 375 d4egrees for 10 minutes. Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment