Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! and Soup

2012 is here and after a wonderful month of holiday parties, shopping and time spent with the ones we love, it is time to cleanse and renew (and pay off the credit cards). I do realize that everything I have posted so far has been for those times when gluttony abounds. I would love to say that eating sugar cookies on a regular basis increases metabolism and shrinks fat cells, but sadly I would be lying. So, reality returns, and my jeans are a little tighter than they were a couple of weeks ago. So, as I do every New Years day, I think about how to be healthier in the coming months.

In that vein, I made the most delicious soup last night. I tried it out on my family to make sure it was as good as I hoped, and it was a winner. It takes a little time to prep, but make a bunch and freeze it for later. It is well worth the time!

Carrot Ginger soup with Sweet Potato

Before you begin, prep 2 lbs. of carrots for soup. Peel and dice into small pieces, but don't worry about precision, as this is a pureed soup.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil (sesame, olive, coconut) in a saute pan
Add 1 diced white onion and saute until translucent
Then add 2-3 tablespoons of minced pickled ginger (fresh ginger is fine too) and
one clove minced garlic. Add the carrots and heat for 2-3 minutes until they brighten just a  bit and start to soften.
Transfer ingredients into a large soup pot and add:
4 cups of veggie or chicken broth
2 cans of light coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 can pureed sweet potato
salt and pepper to taste

Bring the soup to a slow boil and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are soft. Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and puree. Garnish with cilantro and a little goat cheese if desired, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment