Thursday, December 15, 2011

I just wanted some cereal!

I think when I first became gluten free, I missed breakfast most of all. Eggs and fruit was my go to meal, but the slimy texture of the eggs without toast to sop up the yolk started to turn my stomach. I ventured out into the gluten free aisles hoping to find a good cereal. No such luck for me. I spent a lot of time and money buying all sorts of cardboard~ I mean "cereal"~ to try. Yuck! As time went on, more companies came out with new kinds, but they were often one of two things: 1) meant for my kids and so sweet they burned my taste buds in the morning, or 2) inevitably had some other additive I am allergic to. This list for me includes, but is not limited to, bananas (seriously, who is allergic to bananas? It is ridiculous), cranberries (again, why me?), almonds (are you shedding a tear for me yet?), yeast (but I eat it on occasion anyway because all it does is make me tired), milk (yeah for alternatives!), etc... But even on the off chance that I found a cereal without any of the items on my allergy list, they cost $7 for maybe two or three servings. By the time I sampled every cereal I could, I knew it was time to do it myself.

I scoured the internet and books for recipes I would like and adapt. I am so thankful for Bob and his Red Mill for having certified gluten free oats (as well as almost everything a gluten free lady needs). So, here is what I came up with. You can snack on this dry or pour milk (or in my case, milk alternatives) over it for a delicious cereal. Enjoy!

Granola with anything you want~
1/2 cup canola oil (or veggie oil that has a neutral taste)
1/2 cup hot water
2/3 cup honey
6 cups Bob's Red Mill g/f oats
1 1/2 cup lightly chopped nuts of choice
1 to 1 1/2 cups of dried fruit of choice

Whisk liquids in a bowl. Add oats and nuts slowly and mix until dry ingredients are well coated. Spread thinly on baking sheets (you will likely need two). Bake at 250 degrees for an 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to brown throughout. Stir in the dried fruit and store in a sealed container once it is cooled.
Variations~ I love walnuts and dried apple, or cherries and pecans. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment