Saturday, January 7, 2012

Doughnut Holes! Or my attempt to replicate a Beignet

My husband and I went to New Orleans 2 years ago and, as is the tradition, ate our way through the place. Well, he did. I, on the other hand, spent every meal trying to figure out what foods I could eat. I got sick the first night on crawfish that were delicious but were made with a roux and I was so tired from flying that I forgot to ask. I recovered and was more weary for the wear as I looked for places I could eat.Then I found Casamento's! If you are ever there, it is the most amazing fried seafood I have had, gluten or not. All of their batter is corn based and they don't use any wheat! None!!! I could eat anything except for the sandwiches!!! I had fried shrimp, oysters, and fried catfish. I ate until it hurt, but it was a trek from where we were staying in the French Quarter and I knew I only had one chance to enjoy this, so I did!
But, as I walked off all that fried stuff, I passed the place where dreams are made; Cafe du Monde. You smell the delicious air around the cafe long before you see it. They are known for these little fried dough balls called beignets and you drink them with chicory coffee. There is a mountain of powdered sugar on top of each delicious bite and if you breath out near them, the sugar falls like snow all around. They looked awesome! However, being recently poisoned by roux, the most I could do was sip my coffee au lait and watch as my husband drowned himself in fried dough. Usually I don't miss wheat, but this time was painful.
Well, two years later, I have made these little fried dough balls that are, according to my husband, a good replication of what he ate that day. They are easy to make and my whole family loves them. I hope you do too, and that I bring a little bit of New Orleans to your home.

Doughnut Holes:

1 cup of sorgum flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teasppon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter or butter alternative
veggie oil of choice for frying (I used safflower)

Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls then combine slowly. Heat oil in pan about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. (If you have a fryer, you can fry these at 375 degrees according to your directions.) If pan frying, heat on high until batter sizzles when you put it in, then reduce the heat to medium-high. Make tablespoon sized balls of dough and fry for about three minutes, turning them over at least once. Take out of pan and dry on a paper towel. While they are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar. Let them cool a bit and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome!!! I am posting a comment here to tell you that I am so glad that you are blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete