Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer is all about berries!

Ahhh...summer! What a beautiful time of year, especially for fruit. I went downtown to our local Farmer's Market today and bought 3 pints of the most beautiful, organic, sweet and delicious berries I could find. When I got home, I decided to bake something to set these beauties off, so I made these drop biscuits. They are a little sweet, a little acidic, and a tiny bit salty and they make a wonderful addition to the bright sweetness of the strawberries. Yum!

Drop Biscuits:

1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup butter/ cold and cut into small pieces (I used coconut butter substitute)
1 1/4 cup milk (I used coconut milk)

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Put in the butter pieces. Using a pastry cutter, or fork if you don't have a cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes course. Slowly add milk and whisk into flour/butter mixture. Drop fist size amounts of dough onto greased pan and bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until the biscuits turn golden brown.

Slice biscuits in half and put on as many sliced berries as you want. Add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!

1 comment: